My new living room artwork arrived last week, so I took some time to work in the guest room yesterday to resize and design the new canvas work.
I bought this amazing piece called Shift by Scott Naismith. It is so beautiful and colorful, and it looks like it was painted to go into my living room. But unfortunately none of the available sizes would work in this built-in area above my fireplace.
If you have already realized an enveloping project of any kind — a headboard, a dining chair, you can stretch out a canvas. The canvas is simply wrapped around a wooden frame and stapled either on the edge or on the back.
I removed the canvas completely and set it aside so that I had only the supporting frame of wooden tarpaulin left. And since I kept the original height of the canvas and only reduced the width, I removed one end of the linen carrier. These pieces actually came off very easily.
It was a factory-built stretcher, so it has these fancy seals at the corners that fit together like a puzzle piece…
And of course, being a craftsman without the fancy machines, I had no way to reproduce these fancy joints.
So after measuring and marking the top and bottom parts for the new width, I simply used my miter saw to cut regular 45 degree miter saw on both the long parts (i.e. the parts I cut for the new width) and the end piece. Of course, I kept the end piece the same length, but I just cut these fancy little joint extensions. So I ended up with pieces that looked like this…
Then I used wood glue on those ends before assembling them, and I use my framing square to make sure everything was square.
And then I secured it with brackets.
I stitched these corners together on both sides. So, having made this side at both corners, I turned the linen carrier over and stapled the corners on the other side. Then I left it for about 30 minutes to let the glue dry a little before moving on.
Then I was ready to tack the canvas on the stretcher. Since I kept the original height of the canvas, I began to staple at the top and bottom. The canvas had folds, having previously been wrapped and stapled, so there was no guessing where it should be wrapped and stapled.
And with top and bottom wrapped and stapled, it made packing and stapling the sides very easy. I just made a little folds and folds at the corners, then pulled and stapled the sides.
Now I had a work of art on canvas that not only looked like a painting for my living room, but also a custom size for my fireplace.
To shape the workpiece, I first used my table saw to cut pieces of wood with 1 “x 1/4”, then I sanded them smooth with 150-grain sandpaper on my 5-inch rotary grinder.
Then I measured and marked the parts so that they fit the outer edges of the canvas, and I used my miter saw to cut the corners. Then I glued and nailed the parts together with 5/8 inch 18 gauge nails.
I made a quick adjustment to make sure it would fit around the canvas, then I gave this frame two layers of black paint, let the first layer dry completely and then sanded it with 220-grit sandpaper before painting the second and final layer.